1. Last updated on

If you are planning to stay in China or Mongolia for an extended amount of time, it is advisable to register at the Embassy or Consulate General. You will be included in the consular population registers and you can call on the consular services of the Embassy or the Consulate General. For a valid registration we would need the following documents (to be sent by mail/ post or handed over in person / through intermediaries):

  1. An application form for registration duly completed and signed.
    • For minors: please use these separate forms
  2. Copy of a valid Belgian Identity Card
  3. Copy of a valid Belgian passport and visa for China or Mongolia
  4. Proof of registration at a local Chinese police office/the local authorities in Mongolia
  5. If you were previously registered in Belgium: proof of deregistration delivered by your former municipality in Belgium (Model 8).
  6. Registration form for the Federal and European elections and proxy form in case you want to vote by proxy

If you have not been deregistered yet from the Belgian civil register, you can address the following letter by e-mail / post or hand it over in person to your former municipality in order to request an omission from the civil registers.

Belgians that are registered elsewhere (in Belgium or at another Embassy/Consulare) and do not wish to register on short term at the Embassy/Consulate General also need to present documents 2,3,4 together with a duly filled out and signed information form. They will be registered as 'non-registered' and will not be able to make use of the consular services. Please note that certain certificates can only be provided for Belgians that are no longer registered in Belgium or outside of China and are registered at the Embassy in Beijing, the Consulate General in Guangzhou and the Consulate General in Shanghai. 'Non-registered' people will however be informed of important information by email or telephone.

The forms are only available in Dutch and in French.


Since 25/11/2020, Belgians can register online in the consular population registers.

You can access this website if you:

  • are Belgian;
  • are not (no longer) registered in a Belgian municipality, because you have reported your departure abroad to this municipality;
  • have a valid and activated Belgian eID;
  • know your PIN code and have a card reader.