Embassy and Consulates of Belgium in China
Home Services Visa for Belgium

Visa for Belgium


Mandatory Passenger Locator Form for travel to Belgium

From August, 1st, all persons returning to Belgium and all persons travelling through Belgium and who are staying at least 48 hours must fill out an identification form (Passenger Locator Form). You can find this form here.

Mandatory negative test result for travel to Belgium

As from 25 December 2020, all non-residents older than 6 who wish to travel to Belgium must provide a negative PCR COVID test result no older than 72 hours before departure. The test results must be in Dutch, French, German or English. More information on this website.

Essential Travel Certificate

Travelers who do not have the nationality of a country of the European Union or of the Schengen zone must be in possession of an essential travel certificate. This certificate is delivered by a Belgian diplomatic or consular post in order to certify the essential nature of the travel.

An essential travel certificate is not required in the following situations:

  • The traveller is in possession of a valid D visa delivered by a Belgian diplomatic or consular post;
  • The traveller is in possession of a valid C visa delivered after 18/03/2020 by a Belgian diplomatic or consular post;

The certificate is required in all other situations (nationalities exempt from visa requirements for a short stay, holders of a visa issued before 18/03/2020 by a Belgian diplomatic or consular post, ...). 

More information on this website.

Public consultation

The European Commission has decided to launch a public consultation on the perspective of digitalisation of the visa procedure (E-visa) and on the creation of an EU online visa application portal, aimed at a target audience: the travel industry, European agencies directly or indirectly linked to the EU visa policy, visa applicants and the general public. Read more...


For general information on Visas for Belgium, please refer to the website of our outsourcing partners (Visa Application Centre) VFS.

If you have already applied for a visa via the Visa Application Centre, you can check the status of your application at any time by using the visa Application tracker service at the VFS website.

Processing time of a visa application for studies

It is recommended that the student applies for a visa as soon as possible and ideally before Friday 30 July 2021.

According to Article 34 of Directive 2016/801, the decision must be taken at the latest within 90 days from the date of submission of the complete request. Although this deadline is not yet written into the Act of 15 December 1980, the Immigration Office is doing its utmost to make its decision within the deadline set out in the Directive.

As the deadline for enrolment in all higher education institutions is 31 October, a complete visa application should therefore be submitted ideally before 30 July 2021.

Given the large volume of visa applications to be processed in a short period of time, the Immigration Office cannot guarantee that a decision will be made on a date that will allow the student applicant who has submitted his or her visa application after 30 July 2021, to travel to Belgium and enrol in a higher education institution before the weekend of 30 & 31 October 2021


COVID-19 : Travel restrictions to Belgium

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, only certain visa categories are accepted. 
To know these categories, please consult the website of the Immigration Office: https://dofi.ibz.be/en/themes/faq

In addition, if you are in one of the categories authorized to travel to Belgium, the formalities to be completed before your trip are detailed on the website: https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/travels-outside-eu-schengen/

Thank you for contacting VFS Global in order to arrange an appointment and submit your visa application.


Who is a beneficiary of the Withdrawal Agreement and who is not?

How does this affect family members of a UK national who need a Schengen visa?

Please find the answers to your questions on the following link: https://dofi.ibz.be/en/themes/brexit

What type of visa (short stay - long stay?)

Short stay visa (visa type C) authorizes you to stay on Schengen territory for a term not longer than 3 months during a period of 6 months starting from your first entry on the territory.

Long stay visa (visa type D) authorizes you to stay in Belgium for a period longer than 90 days (students, researchers, workers, family reunification, …).


The single permit (work and residence) comes into effect on 1 january 2019

Simplification of the procedure for third-country nationals who apply for authorization to stay and to work in Belgium (single permit) :

As from 03/01/2019, third-country nationals wishing to work in Belgium for more than 90 days will apply to the competent Region, through their employer, for a single application for a work permit and a request for a residence permit. The proof of payment of the administrative fee will have to be submitted. (The Embassy/Consulate  of Belgium has no role in this process).

If the work permit and residence permit are granted respectively by the Region and the Immigration Office, the third-country national will receive a single document stating that he/she is authorized to stay for more than 90 days in Belgium for work.

The "single application / single permit" procedure does not apply to:

  • third-country nationals traveling to Belgium to work less than 90 days;
  • third-country nationals who go to Belgium for purposes other than work;
  • au pairs;
  • researchers with a hosting agreement;
  • highly qualified workers (European Blue Card);
  • workers who are subject to an intra-corporate transfer (Directive 2014/66/EU of 15/05/2014);
  • trainees from the Flemish Region.

The visa application will only be submitted at the end of the process, when the single permit has been granted. The applicant should submit a visa application type D with his/her passport and the single permit and pay the visa fee at the VFS   Centre  where fingerprints will be collected. 

Details about the documents to submit : click here

For more information about the single permit, please visit the following website: https://dofi.ibz.be/en

Implementation of visa biometrics starting 12 October 2015

Starting October 12th, 2015, all applicant for a Schengen visa will need to personally present themselves in order to have their biometric date registered.

Visa applications will be processed faster thanks to the use of biometrics (finger prints and a digital photograph). It will allow visa holders to be identified faster and this way identity theft can be countered.

The procedure to take finger prints is easy, quick and discrete. The applicant will only have to place his or her fingers on the digital scanner. If he or she wants to reapply for a visa within five years, new finger printing will not be required: the previous data stored in the Visa Information System (VIS) will be re-used. After five years the finger print data will be deleted.

When a visa holder arrives at the border, Schengen border control officers will use the VIS to check the identity and verify if the visa is genuine. Quick, easy and reliable biometric checks will help to prevent visa fraud. Honest applicants, the clear majority, will therefore be able to go through a faster procedure.

For more information on Schengen applications in China, see http://www.vfsglobal.cn/Belgium/China/. For more information about the VIS, click here.

What documents to foresee?

The application form for a visa for Belgium should be submitted online. Please click here for the form (you will need to register online first), or visit the website of our outsourcing agency VFS.

Please consult the website of VFS for a checklist of supporting documents required, depending on the purpose of your trip to Belgium.    

From 10 August 2011 onwards, a harmonised list of supporting documents for business travel/conferences/fairs is imposed to persons who are subject to visa (C) requirement and residing in China. This is the result of an Implementing Decision of the European Commission. Please consult the VFS website for this list. 

Where can I hand in my visa application?

If you live in China

The Visa applications have to be handed in at one of the offices of our visa outsourcing partner VFS.

We currently have 15 Visa Application Centers (VAC):

1. Shanghai
3/F, Guangdong Development Bank Tower, 555 Xujiahui Road 
Huangpu District 
200023 Shanghai - China 

2. Guangzhou
Room 388, 3F, Chengjian Mansion, 189 Tiyu Rd (West) 
Tianhe District 
Guangzhou 510620  

3. Beijing
Room 50128, 1/F, Galaxy SOHO, No.2 Nanzhugan Hutong, Chaoyangmennei Street
Dongcheng District
Beijing, 100027

4. Xi'an
Floor 3, Tongjian Pavilion, no.4, consulate district, Xi 'an Chanba Avenue, Chanba ecological district, 
Xi'an City
Shanxi Province, 710000

5. Chongqing
Room 6, 3F, Tower B, Reliance Center, No. 2 Xihu Zhi Road,
Liangjiang New Area
Chongqing City, 401147

6. Hangzhou
2F-A01, Second floor, Xin Feng Commercial G11 Center, 266-272 Xin Feng Road
JiangGan District
Hangzhou City
Jiangsu Province, 310000

7. Shenyang
No.3, Floor 4, Building A, Shenyang Fortune Plaza, No.61, Beizhan Road
Shenhe District
Shenyang City
Liaoning Province, 110000

8. Wuhan
Room 2905-2906, Builiding F of Hanjie International Headquarters
No. 171 of Zhongbei Road
Wuchang District
Wuhan City
Hubei Province, 430000

9. Changsha
No.5-6 Conference Room, 2/F
White Swan Hotel
No.258, Xiangfu Zhong Road
Tianxin District
Changsha City
Hunan Province, 410000

10. Chengdu (temporarily closed as from 25.12.2020, please submit your application in the Chongqing VAC)
Room 6, 3F, Tower B, Reliance Center, No. 2 Xihu Zhi Road,
Liangjiang New Area
Chongqing City, 401147

11. Shenzhen
26 Floor, Building A, Kingkey 100 Building, Luohu District
Shenzhen City
Guangdong Province, 518000

12. Jinan
8F, Qianfoshan Building (Foreign Visa Centre Jinan), No.15-1 Wenhua West Road
Lixia District
Jinan City
Shangdong Province, 250011

13. Nanjing
7/F, Bank of Beijing Building, No. 190, Hexi Avenue,
Jianye District
Nanjing City
Jiangsu Province, 210019

14. Fuzhou
Floor 4, Sanmu Mansion
No.93 Qunzhong Dong Road
Taijiang District
Fuzhou City
Fujian Province, 350000

15. Kunming
1501D, Building A, Low Carbon Business Center, 12 Shibo Road
Kunming City
Yunnan Province, 650000


Your Visa application has to be handed in at your competent VAC based on:

  • The address of you “hukou”


  • Your address of residence (based on a justification document, a temporary resident card,…)

Holders of official passports (service, diplomatic or public affairs) and family members of EU citizens covered by Directive 2004/38 can introduce their Visa application directly at the Visa Section of the Embassy or Consulates General competent for their place of residence:

Embassy in BEIJING
3, San Li Tun Dongsan Jie
Chaoyang District 
100600 Beijing – China 
+86 10 6532 1736 

Consulate General in GUANGZHOU 
R&F Center Unit 2, 7th Floor, 10 Huaxia Lu, Zhujiang Xin Cheng 
Tianhe District 
510623 Guangzhou - China 
+86 20 387 723 51 
+86 20 387 723 56 
+86 20 387 723 53 

Consulate General in SHANGHAI 
Wu Yi Lu, 127 
200050 Shanghai - China 
+86 21 643 766 28 
+86 21 643 765 79 
+86 21 643 767 72 
+86 21 643 770 41 

For residents of Mongolia

When a short stay visa is required (maximum of 90 days, type C-Schengen), please address your Visa Request to the German Embassy in Ulan Bator that represents Belgium in this matter.

For opening hours, the address and other practical information, please refer to their website.

The representation is however only valid for short stay Schengen visas (maximum stay of 90 days). The short stay visa applications that may result in a prolonged stay (e.g. marriage in Belgium, cohabitation,…), cannot be introduced at the German Embassy but have to be processed by the Belgian Embassy in Beijing through its Visa Application Center.

When a long stay visa is needed (more than 90 days, type D, Belgian) please hand in your file at our Visa Application Center.


Border control

Please consult this notice.


After arrival in Belgium/Schengen Area

The Embassy/Consulate General is not competent to handle immigration matters after you have arrived in Belgium. In case you want to extend your visa, replace a lost visa or change the type of visa, you need to contact the Belgian immigration authorities. Their contacts and extensive information can be found on https://dofi.ibz.be/en.


What to do in case your visa has been refused?

In case of refusal the applicant will be notified in written about the reasons for this refusal.

The refusal letter will be written in Dutch, French or German, depending on the preference given at the time of application.

As the refusal decision has not been taken by the Embassy or Consulate General but by the Belgian immigration authorities, the Embassy or Consulate General is not competent to comment on this refusal by any means (at the counter, by telephone or in writing).

The applicant can decide to lodge an appeal with the Belgian judicial authorities, as explained in the refusal notice or apply again for a visa with the Embassy or Consulate General.


Documents to download

Data Protection