Home News The Embassy of Belgium in Beijing is looking for a Customs affairs assistant (m/f/x)
The Embassy of Belgium in Beijing is looking for a Customs affairs assistant (m/f/x)
Date:18 January 2023
The Embassy of Belgium in Beijing is looking for a Customs affairs assistant (m/f/x).
Position: Multiskilled administrative operative principally active in secretarial work and organization at the Embassy of Belgium in Beijing (local staff) – PS5/0
Location: embassy of Belgium, Sanlitun Dongsan Jie 3, 100600, Beijing
Deadline for application: 3rd of February 2023 – 12:00 Beijing time
As assistant to the customs attaché , you support him/her in the daily exchange with the Chinese administrations.
Your principal responsibilities will include, among others:
- Liaise with Chinese administrations on both customs and customs enforcement topics (GACC, SAMR, ASB,…),
- Follow the current affairs and information available on the Chinese administration websites and social networks,
- Translate into English, French or Dutch documents written in Chinese and act as an interpreter during meetings with Chinese speakers or during exchanges with visitors etc…,
- Assist the customs attaché in the daily running of the attaché post (e.g. organizing the office, organizing events and their follow-up, management of contacts, translate official correspondence,...)
Examples of tasks:
- Exchange of technical information with Chinese administration experts and provide support to the customs attaché in enquiries concerning particular customs issues/cases,
- Create and maintain useful contacts (including by attending events) with resource people or bodies in order to strengthen and widen the post’s network, and to exchange general information or in the frame of specific cases,
- Transmit questions/answers/information from external contacts to the Belgian customs attaché and vice versa,
- Translate letters/documents/information and/or write summaries in order to make them quickly accessible,
- Assist the customs attaché in the practical organization of meetings/seminars and missions online and offline in and outside Beijing. This part of the job may involve irregular working hours and travel outside of Beijing.
- Prepare documented files for meetings, seminars/webinars, missions etc…
- Gross monthly salary: 15.523,20 RMB + 13th month
- 1-year local contract (renewable)
- No allowances for housing costs or holiday transportation
- Estimated starting date: April 2023
After a pre-screening based on a CV/resume and cover letter, the selection procedure will comprise an interview evaluating the applicant’s skills, relevant experience, language skills and motivation.
Required Degree and Competences
- Relevant higher education degree (Bachelor’s or Master’s degree)
- Relevant experience in the customs and international export logistics with public administrations/entities or Chinese companies is an asset
- Relevant experience in the field of compliance and enforcement is an asset
- Strong analytical skills are required to understand and translate Chinese regulations and apply this knowledge to practical questions.
- Good knowledge of European Union and Chinese customs regulations
- Good knowledge of Chinese public administrations
- Excellent communication skills, both written and orally
- Display a great level of discretion for sensitive or personal information
- Able to combine problem solving skills with diplomatic touch and tenacity
- Excellent command of English as a working language (written and spoken)
- Native level Mandarin Chinese
- Master specific customs vocabulary in both Chinese and English in order to ensure accurate communication with Chinese counterparts.
- Knowledge of Dutch or French would be considered an asset
To apply for this position, send your CV/resume and cover letter to email@example.com no later than 3rd of February 2023, 12:00 (Beijing time), clearly stating ‘Customs affairs assistant’ in the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.